Friday, July 2, 2010

The Feminine Mystique

Just woke up a little frustrated. My memory card for my camera won't work with my adapter... just goes to show ya'll how technologically un-savvy I am. But, I won't hold it against me.

Anyways, enough with my whiny complaints. I was looking through the August 2010 Lucky magazine yesterday, and I stumbled upon this gorgeous floor-scraping full skirt. Now let's get one thing straight... long anything really isn't my thing. Common. I'm 19 for Pete's sake! I still got a couple years on me until I'll be wearing trousers and blouses. Cause that older people wear right?
I get way too off topic.

Inspiration:
[Vogue Paris Isabeli Fontana]

Yet, this one skirt inspired me. Right when I saw it, I immediately thought of the Louis Vuitton and Prada Fall 2010 collections. Even Prada's Resort 2011 Collection stuck with the gamine theme with garments worthy of any woman needing to suffice her fashion needs. LV's heavy fabrics make their A-line dresses and "twirling dervish"-esque skirts ooze with luxury. The fullness at the bottom requires some sort of balance. Light pastel, floral corset inspired tops accentuated the models' curvatures perfectly. This season's famous hue of camel coated LV's heavy skirts perfectly. Cat- eye shades and leather gloves were the perfect dainty touches for this "powerful woman". For the first time in a long time, and I mean a LONG time, it seems as if the models were wearing the clothes (rather than the clothes wearing them). It was definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the previous rocker- studded chic as seen at Balmain.

[Loius Vuitton Fall 2010]





[Prada Fall 2010]



[V Magazine]



One thing I did learn, and actually remembered, from my apparel merch class in Indiana was that the fashion pendulum swings like CRAZY! When we go from one extreme, we can't go anymore "extreme-r" in that department. So, we swing to the complete opposite side. Let me give you an example, a few seasons ago all fashion fiends could do was strut their stuff in sky-high, studded heels that almost tore our feet in pieces do to pain. And let me say, I've worn some painful studded shoes. Yet, now we're seeing wooden heeled clogs at Chanel, and pointed heels with feminine bows on heels at Prada. We got so sick of all the dark, tough chic wear and decided it's time for some spring cleaning!

Exhibit A: Chanel Spring 2010


Exhibit B: Giuseppe Zannoti


I'll be the first one to admit, I was a proud supporter of the "rough around the edges" chic every girl tried to don. But hey. There was a point when I realized I wasn't a skater boy and needed to frill it up. Just a tad. Try it out for size... I promise this trend won't bite. Not as hard as all black with deadly studded pumps. It's time to pretty up!

Love, Ali.

2 comments:

  1. wow! so much inspiration in this post :)
    loving the blog
    great posts!
    stop by some time xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full skirts are my favorite things to wear!! They're so feminine! xoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome! I dig em*