Thursday, July 8, 2010

In Full Bloom

Goodness, just woke up with a peircing headache. Yet, nothing that a post can't cure ;)

So, I'll be the first to admit I'm a tad late on the news; two or three days late on reporting is a slap on the hand in the fashion world. But, I digress. As I was tanaciously browsing style.com for some juicy deets on the wonderful world of high fashion, I stumbled upon Dior's new Fall 2010 collection.







It was a floral fete to remember, to say the least. All I could do was feast my tired eyes on the psychadelic colors on all of Galliano's work. Maybe Fall lines are letting some light shine through! Is it just me, or do all of those colorless Fall collections make you dread the upcomming hibernation mode I prepare for in the deadly cold months of fearful Fall and "Why did I choose a cold college?" Winter.

It's too early (aka 1 PM) to be taking my ADD medication, so bear with me as I ramble.
Back to Dior's delicate florals...
I'm no florist, but these designs make anyone want to go out and buy some lovely tulips or hibiscus. The heavy, yet delicate dresses blossomed with beautiful, bold pastel hues. Each dress even seemed to resemble a true flower. The collection as a whole seemed as if Dior created a fairy tail of a walking garden. The exqusite rouching of the bodice, draping of different textured fabrics, and the hoards of Easter Egg tinted tulle were the perfect ingredients for this Haute Couture tea party.

The thin- ankle strapped strapped heels seemed to be a fresh spinoff of the ever so loved punk-rock gladiator heel. Covered in pastel lace of powder blue and lavendars, the spring mused heel took the form of a stem of a flower itself (twirled to perfection of course). Do we expect anything less from the devine Dior? The admirable accessories were topped off with bright "Mommy's Dishwashing" gloves that come up to the elbow. Any Dior diva caught in these could be dubbed a garden gamine.

Exhibit A:


Exhibit B:


Exhibit C:


The Cindy Lou inspired pomadour with a curled tip were mounted onto models' heads to keep the "Salvador Dali-esque" dream influence in check. While pastel shadows were used on the eyes, lips marched in the beat of Fall's drum with deep (almost black) shades of plum and burgundy. The mix got me thinking that we can have our cake and eat it too. Ie: Why can't Fall lines keep some notes of the liveliness of Spring?

So breathe in Dior's flower power. I sure as hell am.
Love, Ali Korn

PS: Here is some more inspiration for you, my floral fashion fiends. (Some Enviable Viktor & Rolf)





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome! I dig em*